Introduction Volunteers of the St. Kitts and Nevis Red Cross are personally and collectively responsible for upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct. At all times and in all circumstances, volunteers are expected to work in accordance with the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement’s Fundamental Principles and to respect the dignity of those whom the SKNRC pledges to assist and with whom they have contact.
Scope and Purpose These regulations apply to the SKNRC volunteers, locally and any other individuals working for or representing the SKNRC in the field.
Rules All Volunteers agree to:
1. Observe any instructions given by the SKNRC headquarters through its Branches and act in conformity with those instructions.
2. Work alongside representatives from the IFRC and or ICRC and/or PNS as instructed by the SKNRC headquarters.
3. Administer with exactness and care any funds and material resources entrusted to you and be prepared to render an account of the use of such funds and resources during or at the conclusion of the field assignment/visit.
4. Refuse any financial or material gifts or promises of such gifts or other advantages,other than token presents which may be customary.
5. Refrain from undertaking any public, professional or commercial activities other than those connected with the assignment/field visit.
6. Refrain from using their Red Cross position to request favours, or to seek sexual favours in exchange for money, employment, services or goods.
7. Avoid making references to political or military situations in public.
8. Refrain from saying or doing anything that may contravene the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, particularly those of impartiality and neutrality, whether on or off duty.
9. Respect, promote the regulation on the use of the emblem of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and to prevent the misuse and abuse. (refrain from wearing the Red Cross insignia when not on official duty [except insignia of small size, such as a lapel pin])
10. Observe strictly the laws and regulations of the country including those concerning security, road/vehicle usage, drug/alcohol, sexual activities, financial and currency regulations.
11. Pay due respect to the religious beliefs, customs and habits of the population of the country as shown through appropriate dress, conduct and behaviour.
12. Refrain from engaging in inappropriate relations with those who may look to the SKNRC for protection, particularly vulnerable adults or children (persons under 18years of age) and refrain from any acts that may be considered abusive, including violence, harassment, discrimination or racism.
13. Refrain from using or carrying weapons or ammunition at any time on person or in personal luggage; and at no time within a vehicle purporting the Red Cross and Red Crescent emblem.
14.Keep the SKNRC Branches informed of movements in the field and inform when taking a leave of absence.
I understand that this Code of Conduct forms part of my being a volunteer of the St. Kitts and Nevis Red Cross. I declare that I shall respect the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. I also declare that I shall observe the Rules set out above.
If I do not do so or if I display inappropriate behaviour the SKNRC may invoke its disciplinary procedure which could lead to the early termination of my being a volunteer.
St Kitts-Nevis Red Cross Horsford Road PO Box 62 Basseterre, St. Kitts